Happy National Relaxation Day! Today is a day to reflect on all the wonderful benefits of relaxation! Not only do you deserve relaxation, you actually need it. Relaxation is healthy for your body, mind, and spirit. That being said, here are Dr. Saunders’s top 5 things to do on National Relaxation Day:
- Become mindful of your surroundings. You can do this by tuning your senses to your surrounding one at a time. First, you might become aware of your breath: your inhale, your exhale, the depth or shallowness of your breaths, but observe your breath without judgment. Move on to each of your senses. Notice where your body is experiencing touch: your clothes, a chair, your hair on your face. Then the sounds around you: a fan, cars passing, birds chirping in the distance, whatever is there, notice it.
- Exercise your creative mind by diving into one of your passions. Have you always wanted to learn to play an instrument? Did you pack away your paints and brushes when life got busy? Now is the perfect time to let yourself enjoy creating something beautiful.
- Get lost in a book. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . . The man who never reads lives only one.”~Jojen, A dance with Dragons (George R. R. Martin)
- Spend time with people you care about. Spending time with those you love can help you reconnect with your life, your loved ones, and yourself.
- Let go of that which hurts you. It is easy to get trapped in a cycle of guilt, and to hold things against yourself. If it is in the past, then it is anguish that you no longer need. Allow yourself to focus on all that is good in your present, instead.
And there you have it, 5 relaxing things for you to do today! Always remember to take time to care for yourself, you are worth it!
Written by Savannah Achor