February is international boost your self esteem month! Sometimes, we forget that the way we feel about ourselves can, will, and has changed before in the past. Feelings are not stagnant, they change depending on time, place, and circumstances. Everyone goes through periods of time where we maybe don’t like ourselves as much as we think we could or should. But we have the power to change these feelings. Here are some small tips to get you started on boosting your self esteem:
- Stop comparing yourself to others. You are not living anyone’s life but your own. You don’t know exactly what other people are going through, and even the people we admire the most for being healthy, strong, and put together fall apart sometimes too. Focus on yourself and your journey.
- Use Positive Self-Affirmations. How will you know that you love yourself if you don’t tell yourself?! Look yourself in the face every morning and tell yourself:
- “I am strong.”
- “I am beautiful.”
- “I am intelligent.”
- “I can handle anything life throws at me.”
- “I am capable of loving and being loved in return.”
- “I have confidence in myself and my ability to do my best.”
Even if your affirmations feel forced or half-hearted at first, you will believe in yourself and what you’re saying in time.
- Exercise. Not only is eating healthy and exercising regularly good for your physical health, but also your mental health! Exercising for 30-60 minutes 3-4 times each week, or as you are able, can help to reshape the way you feel about yourself!
- Take “me” time. Do something for yourself, whether that’s arts and crafts, meditation, fishing, playing video games, or some combinations of different things, spending time with yourself and doing what you love helps you to relax and decompress from the stresses of your daily life.
More than anything, be kind to yourself. Today and all days.
Created by Savannah Achor